Monday, April 6, 2009

Home Opener


So tomorrow (Tuesday 4/7) is the Red Sox home opener. Most people in Massachusetts can't wait for the first pitch but what most people in Massachusetts seemed to over look was the home opener that occurred in its most glorious form this past Saturday. The New England Revolution took to the pitch and came out with a 2-1 win! As I sat in the stand on that chilly, windy evening, I couldn't help but think that I have never been so captivated by any game because each pass and each play being set up was so suspensful waiting to see if it would result in a goal. I find it unfortunate that one of the most successful New England teams, aside from the Patriots, are view by less that five to six thousand people. They have been to the MLS Cup 4 times in the last 7 years (although never won). I never understood how the world's most popular sport as well as the largest youth sport in America is one of the least popular sports in the USA.
With the World Cup in South Africa next year approaching quickly, most of the world will be focusing on the qualifying games coming up. Personally, I cheer on Germany in every international competition and I hope to see them take the cup home in 2010. The next best thing though would be to see USA win the World Cup, solidifying our country as a force to be reckoned with on the field.
Which team will you be watching in the 2010 World Cup?

1 comment:

  1. I think if the USA won the world cup it would go a long way in helping the popularity of the sport in America. With the revolutions success I agree it is surprising to see how little fan and media support they get.

    ReplyDelete