Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Patriotic Lighting and Exploding Babies

Last night I was watching TV and caught the end of the movie Eagle Eye. As I sat there watching the movie, they had a group of kids playing The Star Spangled Banner for Congress. While my roommates were captivated by the story and the going-ons in the film, I could only think of the one thing I think of whenever I hear our national anthem... How many times I used to screw it up when I was a kid. No one really ever taught me the song when I was younger, I just kind of mouthed words and listened until I thought I knew what I was doing. As a younger, curious child, I had questions that needed answers about what I thought was our national anthem...

"Jose, can you see? By the Donzerly Light..." Who the hell is Jose and why do we care if he can see? Also, how did everyone seem to know Jose except for me? I used to think that he couldn't see because he was being blinded by the Donzerly Light, whatever the hell that was. Which reminds me, when I was younger and would go to the store with my Dad, I secretly would look for Donzerly lights. Never found a single one. "Oh the red parts we washed..." I never washed anything red when I was a kid and I kind of felt like I was lying in tune with everyone else because there was no way that my first grade class did their laundry either. "And the rockets red glare, the moms bursting in air..." When I actually asked my teacher what the song was about so I could get some clarity, I always felt bad for the burtsing mothers in the Revolutionary War. I could only think about pregnant women hurling through the air exploding randomly and taking out the British Navy.

Well now I know just how naive I was as a kid and I laugh from time to time when I think about it. I eventually figured out the real lyrics and can now belt out the anthem with everyone else. There is one thing that still bothers me to this day... where can I find those damn Donzerly lights?

3 comments:

  1. It's not just the anthem.... 'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how about the song louie louie by the kingsmen...the only thing you can understand in that song is louie louie...in fact it caused a great controversy when it came out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't think you are alone. I also misunderstood the lyrics to that song. Also, there are plenty of songs that or misleading. Along the line of Bjorn's comment, I heard that those may have been the actual lyrics, so that Hendrix could appear homosexual to avoid being drafted...

    ReplyDelete