Friday, February 13, 2009

He Usually has Trouble with 1977

As the Academy Awards is approaching I am always reminded of my friend Joe. Now before I tell you why the Oscars remind me of him let me give you some background. I met Joe my second semester of college when I was trying to join a my fraternity. He seemed very laid back and genuine. Joe has an extensive collection of movies, in that he has more movies than every person in the state of Massachusetts combined (and he's watched them all). Now as I was getting to know Joe, I learned that he had a secret talent. The talent, which amazes me to this day, is that he can remember every Oscar winner for Best Picture from the latest winner all the way back to 1958! Yes, that's over 50 years of Best Picture winners to remember. On top of that he can also remember various year prior to 1958. To keep him fresh, I like to quiz him randomly and watch his genius go to work. The most amazing thing about this is that if he can't remember the winner for one year, he'll skip it continue to the next year, and the one he had trouble with will pop into his head. I think something like this is just incredible! Of all the different things that people can do, I still think that Joe's talent truly astounds me.

He also has a knack for choosing who will win best picture (according to him he picked Crash, The Departed, and No Country for Old Men in 2005, 2006, and 2007 respectively.) And if you're wondering who his pick for this year is? .....Slumdog Millionaire

5 comments:

  1. What about Dark Knight? Bah to his predictions!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thats a pretty interesting talent. I also pride myself on movie knowledge, its rather useless knowledge but i just love movies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing. But where would this come in handy, unless he's on a game show or having his life threatened and will be killed if he doesn't know what movie won best picture in 1972 haha

    And with his predictions, does he guess based on who get nominated, or can he guess prior to that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is a pretty unique talent there. Should give that kid a list of dates and events and people and stick him in Jeopardy with a memory such as that! However I must say even though slumdog millionaire will probably win I wish wish wish it will be The Dark Knight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1977....1977.....Probably NOT Star Wars, eh? I seem to remember no George Lucas acceptance speeches....

    ReplyDelete